Originally impounded in 1965, bootleg Lake disappears and reappears from year to year, depending on rainfall.
A number of years ago, some big incentive largemouth bass were stocked in this lake, which impounds part of Carrizo Creek. The lake was deemed a strictly catch-and-release fishery. For a short time, the Game and Fish Department began allowing fishermen to keep five fish under 12 inches in length in order to reduce the number of small fish. Expect a few sunfish as well as an occasional channel catfish
To fish here, you need a special permit, and you'll need to declare your intention of working this lake when buying it (they limit the number of anglers, and your special permit will be valid only on Bootleg). Studies in the 90s conducted on the 10-acre impoundment indicated 92 percent of the lake's residents were largemouth bass. The other 8 percent were green sunfish. The studies indicated most of the bass caught weighed slightly less than a pound, though older, larger fish were viewed.-G.J Sagi, from the travel handbook Fishing Arizona